I am Hiho Grandma and I am a Mormon. I want to help my Grandchildren (ages 0-12) understand the scriptures, so I created this blog so we could all study the scriptures together and talk about what we learn.
Monday, July 9, 2012
Thoughts on Exodus 20
Seeing as how this is the TEN COMMANDMENTS it will take a lot to review this so I will just start with the first few verses (yes I am that lazy)
1/2Thou shalt have no other Gods before me /idols
One would think oh this is easy I am not worshiping any other Gods. But S Kimball (Miracle of Forgiveness pg. 40 according to the handwritten note inside my scriptures) has this to say
"Intangible things make just as ready Gods. Man young men attend college when they should be on missions...some neglect church service...giving preference to secular training and ignoring spiritual covenants. Many people build and finish a home and buy a car and find that they cannot afford to pay tithing. Whom do they worship?
Others have as their idols games. These pursuits more often than not interfere with the worship of God, with giving service and the building of the kingdom...It my not seem serious yet it indicates where allegiance and loyalties are...
Still others worship power and success many will trample spiritual things to climb to success."
Look at your life what things are you putting before God? I am sure to some degree we all put something above God at one time or another but it puts it in a whole new perspective to see these things as our Gods.
3Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in Vain.
I love this quote by LaGrand Richards (Yep he's my grandpa)
"It is difficult to understand how someone may truly and sincerely approach God in prayer seeking blessing while at the same time be so disrespectful as to take his name in vain."
I will add more about other commandments later but this is a start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment